domingo, 19 de julho de 2009

CORVO



I am writing this entry from tiny Corvo Island (425 inhabitants seems to be the official figure and a single old-looking village is clearly the truth). Having arrived yesterday morning from Santa Cruz das Flores with a small safe boat (maximum 12 people; I had no previous booking, but only 11 others had made reservations, so I proudly took the last place) I searched for some guest house or private lodging and was immediately sent to Mr. Rita's COMODORO guest house, which by far overtook my level of expectation. Remember this if and when you decide to come here. Mr. Rita excelled in sympathy and service and proposed me to join a french couple for a visit up to the "Caldeirão" in his open commercial car - which I accepted of course: after all I came also (mainly indeed) for that. So I had a head-against-the-wind fine climbing with fantastic weather: sunshine and blue skies above, majestic blue sea down the mountain. "Caldeirão" is the old crater of the volcano which created the island, nowadays fully dorment. Corvo and Flores do not have active volcanos because they stand on the american tectonic plaque, while the other Azores islands are on the unsettled eurasian one.
I am still enjoying yesterday's offer - because today we got mist and rain, which is quite fair for having a real picture of what the Azores climate is all about. From COMODORO's verandah Flores is now fully invisible, while it was so majestic all the previous day!
Tommorrow is day back to Flores, I hope. The sea was so calm with very gentle waves on the way here (beyond my expectation as well), but this is no guarantee the same will happen tomorrow.
It's wait and see, plus obviously wait and sea and, has the food here is good, it's also wheight and see.

1 comentário:

  1. GuestHouse Comodoro.20 de julho de 2009 às 05:34

    It was a pleasure having you at our GuestHouse .We hope you will come back to say hello someday.Our door is always open...Hope your trip back to flores was a smooth one!
    Cheers the Rita Family

    ResponderEliminar